Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'm All Ears ... And Eyes !!

Now knowing my career of choice, I began studying. I studied my knowledge further and further ... my knowledge about Japan, mostly. As we learn new things each day, about physical surroundings and ourselves, I was learning new things about Japan.

I am on the pursuit of a new domain - another realm, even. I knew I had to take immediate action to begin schooling myself on the way of the Japanese people!

Etiquette. Etiquette is perhaps one of the most important part of living life as a Japanese. There are correct ways to hold things; like chopsticks or when you hand important documents to your principal at school at the last day of school ceremony, etc. There are correct ways to eat things like sushi (this includes the whole palatte: the wasabi and soy sauces, dipping your sushi, picking it up, and eating it in one bite if possible). There is a correct/respectful way to take your shoes off in a shrine ... should you ever visit one and go inside the perimeters. You should always convey poise and respect by never using your foot to move things. For example, if I were in a classroom and setting up chairs and desks, I would think twice about moving a chair even 2 inches away by using my foot. If I were to be caught by another teacher, I would probably be told off! ha ha Honestly though, any person no matter their home country, shouldn't use their feet to move things ... especially in public or in front of others. It's just rather disrespectful and unfavored by many !

................

When walking on tatami floors, NEVER step on the borders around each tatami/bamboo mat. This tradition/custom has been around since early periods in Japan's history. The reason for this is, because family names and crests were written on the borders of tatami mats, and stepping on the borders would be very disrespectful and unhad for.
When I say 'correct' I simply do mean "correct". However, the term 'correct' is also expressed as the word 'respectful'. All of these correct ways (and many unmentioned), are simply customs and traditions that really do make Japan so unique and intriguing .... that island nation.

I have come across thousands of sources of which aided in my knowledge. Many of my sources were online, while plenty of others were by the TV and ... Anime !
There it is again, anime has made yet another way of tutoring me !! When I watch anime, I only watch the original Japanese ones. Meaning, the voice actors are the original Japanese speakers and there are English subtitles at the bottom of the screen. I will be honest and say, that so many animes are drawn in which they reflect Japan itself. It is kind of hard to describe just what I mean, but truly, I meant exactly what I said. And so from that, I have learned so very much more about Japan and its lifestyle ... more that I ever would have learned from, say, the internet or something! It's amazing the impacts that anime has had on me !! (^_^)

I am Always all ears and eyes when the subject of Japan comes up, so that I may continue learning !

No comments:

Post a Comment